Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Steeple Tree

Hello, Readers. I'd like to preface this. The first poem is very meaningful to me... I hope it warms your heart just a bit. And the second two... *ahem* I promise I haven't lost my mind. I hope your find thorough enjoyment in reading something a bit zanier than my usual. It just came out with my mood. Voila!

The Steeple Tree

I climb up again, but I'm so tired, so weighted by fatigue.
My limbs struggle to reach one last branch, scraped and faintly blooded,
But I reach it.
I know, I know...
How far away am I, among the purity of the leaves, and I breathe in the most whole breath.
Something has reduced me, and I feel... I feel it all. It was there, and then it never was.
Suffering, sin, satire, they all wash away, weaker than my own frail legs.
They go, and it's just me... I stay.
Here is my steeple, Lord.

Peculiar

She was a peculiar cat, I came to decide.
Such odd (nearly human!) habits never suited another animal,
Yet they fit perfectly under her sweet facade.
There were teeth in there? Of course.
Come here, kitty!
Affectionately, she bites.
I didn't ask her in to tea again.

Mindless

Mhm...
Yes.
Okay.
Sure.
Did you hear me?
No.
Hm?
That's what I thought.
Hear, don't listen,
Listen, don't hear.
Never stop,
Turn the corner,
Stop.
Stop, then go.
And somehow I know confusion has it's grip on me... nothing adds up. Nothing goes down... on paper, on paper, my mind is a map that has ended in light of a tangle.
It all starts over... and over. That's why I'm smiling, correct?

***It might interest you (or not) to know that I'm terrified of cats.

3 comments:

Ruefle said...

Ah yes, cats. I'm not very fond of them either. In fact, I hate cats. There, it's public: Annie hates cats.

The Steeple Tree was very lovely! I love the nice ending. ;] Thank you for posting this poem, I think yoiur feelings were well expressed into genuine dictations that captured a reader like me into you, Mary Hannah. :] I hope to read more like this.

Peculiar was a very cute poem. It was kind of disconnected from word to word, but when I read the whole poem to myself, I understood the connection between each thing you said. Enjoyable read!

Mindless was...well, mindless. !!

Nice collection of poetry. I can't wait until the next post!

Eric Chao said...

lol. nice poem on cats. even if i didn't really know what was going on, it still made me smile. The Steeple Tree poem was very meaningful, even I know that, and I don't understand half the words you wrote. And Mindless really captured the clatter-brained numbness in the mind which floats around when you're not focused or dreaming, or just mindless. I really liked your poems, keep writing.

Anonymous said...

Ur a good poet. Keep up the good work!

Post a Comment